Thursday, September 17, 2009

Art and Fear - Overcoming Procrastination, Perfectionism and Paralysis to become more Productive

I have been thinking a lot about this subject because unless I have a deadline, nothing I do is ever finished.

Why? Because I always think I will be able to improve it some day. So the paintings that have not left my studio remain unsigned, unvarnished and unframed.

What leads us to delay completion? I am no psychologist (unless you accept my armchair degree in self-help reading) but I have come to the conclusion that I believe I can improve on my mostly completed paintings, but I am also afraid to completely mess them up - and believe me that has happened more than once!

So I procrastinate - I start a new painting, take another workshop, read a book, cook something, make a phone call, travel somewhere, go shopping or any other activity, rather than knuckling down and addressing whatever it is I think needs to be changed and tackling it with courage and skill.

I think that is why I like the start of a work - it is easy to be completely free and change things with abandon. Nothing is precious. Right eye 1/8 of an inch too high - paint it out and start over! Don't like the color of the background - change it!

I have a full library of books on the subject, so I know I am not alone in this kind of avoidance behavior. Julia Cameron has written a very funny cartoon book entitled, How to Avoid Making Art, and exposes some of the silly ideas we use as excuses for not working when we ought to be working.

Right now I have two portrait studies that need a few slight tweaks and have been patiently waiting for my attention for months. So here I am, writing a post and drinking coffee instead and dreaming of my next painting.

Today I am going to head down to my studio and finish something. Nike has it right - let's all just do it!

3 comments:

TheLadyDragonfly said...

Procrastination is "analysis paralysis" being too "anal" about how something looks, you are unable to go forward. This is part of perfectionism, the unhealthy part. I solved this when I realized that there are no masterpieces and whatever I am currently working on has no relation to a "masterpiece." I live in the moment and paint in the moment. The longer I paint, the easier it is to release work from my present moment. It is a mind set and the next piece will be the better piece, what is past is past.

Thank you Wayne Dyer, PhD for the perspective! (A self-help guru)

Alice McMahon said...

Hmm, I always hate to start a piece, but love to finish - to the point of posting something I know needs a few tweaks. I do the procrastination part when looking at the blank slate. Scary to begin! I have a good friend who wrote a poem, and the theme was "Paint on regardless." I try to keep those words in mind during these times. Sometimes it helps. Good blog post, thanks!

Lynn Digby said...

There is a book by the same name as this blog post. "Art and Fear," by David Bayles and Ted Orland. It's a neat read, and it helps address this fear we all feel at one time or another in the art making process.

This is an excellent topic for your blog. I enjoyed reading it.