Friday, September 16, 2011

Should You Join an Art Group? Are You a Dog or a Cat?

I just read an interesting article about joining art groups.  The writer draws an analogy between cats and dogs and what tends to happen in a group. I have belonged to some art groups where it became pretty clear, over a period of years, that an artist would never be featured or recognized in any way unless they had a MFA or painted in the style the lead dog preferred or were somehow either favored or not threatened by the lead dog, so I thought this article really hit home and explained my discomfort with groups in general.  I currently do belong to one painting group that seems quite egalitarian, but I haven't actually been that involved for the past year due to time constraints of my own other pursuits, I guess in a cat-like fashion.  I do know that I have enjoyed plein air painting with the group, in my own little solitary spot but knowing there are other cats doing the same nearby!  I guess it all depends on the temperament of the artist and how much they need the company of others.  Personally, I feel most artists treasure their solitude and it needs to be that way to grow in their creative abilities.  Food for thought.

Cats Walk Alone

by Carolyn Henderson

We can, however, choose to be superb artists, whether or not we are invited into the middle of the circle -- and indeed, the likelihood that we reach our potential as artists increases when we decrease our dependence upon the group, the group's policies, the group's likes and dislikes, the group's approbation or censure. [...]

Read the rest of this article at:
http://fineartviews.com/blog/34972/cats-walk-alone

----------------------------------------------
This excerpt appears courtesy of FineArtViews Art Marketing Newsletter by FASO,
a free email newsletter about art, marketing, inspiration and fine living for artists,
collectors and galleries (and anyone else who loves art).



For a complimentary subscription, visit: http://www.fineartviews.com

-----------------------------------------------

No comments: